Saturday, September 13, 2014

Building the Foundations for Success

This chapter had a lot of information on how to have a classroom that is full of successful readers. It provides us with different things to do in our classroom.

o   Reading to Children and Independent Reading Time
§  Read aloud to children
§  Allow children to have their own time to read
o   Supporting and Encouraging Writing
§  Model writing
§  Provide things to write on
§  Accept the writing they do
o   Teach Concrete Words
§  Making the kids’ names “special words” for the students to learn
o   Develop Phonemic Awareness
§  Done orally calling attention to sounds not letter
§  Ability to take words apart and put them back together
o   Teach Letter names and sounds
§  Use the students’ names to teach this
§  Use favorite words

Using these concepts will help and encourage your students and help them have a successful literacy concept.

What will I do in my classroom?

This chapter had me thinking a lot about what I am going to have in my classroom. I work at an after-school program with 2nd and 3rd graders, and one of my favorite things to do with them is play games that are educational. If the kids are having fun, they learn so much better and enjoy doing it. I love the idea of the names in the hat for learning creative words for the students. I will definitely probably use that idea.




1 comment:

  1. I really like the idea of making the kids' names 'special words' to learn. That adds a fun and personal element to what can seem like a daunting challenge, and gives kids the drive to want to learn!

    ReplyDelete